We hear plenty of stories about danger on college campuses. Many students may think that certain incidents won’t happen to them, but safety precautions should be taken by all in order to prevent these dangers.
Whether you are a student yourself or have a son or daughter in college, read these safety tips and make sure you are doing what you can to stay safe.
- Double check that the main entry to your dorm building or apartment is locked at all times, and don’t let anyone in that you don’t know.
- Keep the door to your specific apartment or room closed and locked at all times, even if you’ll “just be gone for a minute.”
- Keep windows closed and locked, especially if you live on the first or second floor of your building.
- If you have a car on campus, keep it locked and check on it every day or so if you don’t use it often.
- Keep emergency phone numbers, such as campus security and campus escort services in your cell phone. Use the escort service for a free ride home at night rather than walking home alone.
- Keep friends or family aware of where you are at all times and an approximate time you plan to return.
- Contact campus safety or the local police department if you see or hear anything suspicious, or feel unsafe for any reason.
We hope you all have a great and safe school year!
Courtesy of About.com