Natural gas has a distinctive odor that everyone in your home should learn to recognize. Even an occasional “whiff” of natural gas in your kitchen, laundry or furnace area should be cause for immediate concern.
The characteristic scent of natural gas is a man-made addition that is intended to help protect consumers from fire and explosion hazards. Here are some important considerations every member of your family should know in the event someone smells even a whiff of natural gas:
- Don’t cause a spark or ignite a flame or match! If you’re smoking a cigarette, extinguish it immediately. If you’re in the dark, do not turn on the lights because the electrical switch may cause a spark.
- Call for help immediately. Your local gas company has emergency repair personnel on call 24 hours a day to repair suspected gas leaks. Call them immediately, no matter how faint the smell of gas may be.
- Get outside! If the odor of gas is strong, leave your home immediately. Don’t attempt to ventilate the house by opening windows and don’t use your own phone. Call the gas company’s emergency line from a remote location.
- Stay outside! Don’t re-enter your home until after a trained gas company representative arrives, assess the situation and gives you a clear indication that it’s safe for you and your family to return to your home.