Congratulations! You have purchased your new home and are probably excited to move in and start decorating the place to make it truly feel yours. In addition to furniture, decor and paint, you should also be thinking about security.
Here are some things you should consider doing right when you move in (or even before!):
- Change your locks. You likely have no idea how many people have keys to get into the home, and it is always better to be safe than sorry. Have a locksmith out to your home as soon as possible to replace all locks. Make sure windows have locks as well.
- Check your blinds. Do you have quality blinds on windows? Close them at night or when you are away from home. You don’t want anyone being able to see into your home.
- Meet your neighbors. Having friendly, trustworthy neighbors is great for the safety of the community. Meet neighbors and establish a positive relationship by looking out for one another. This way, a neighbor can alert you if they notice any suspicious activity occurring near your home.
- Maintain landscaping. Shrubbery and fencing provide hiding places for criminals, so keep hedges and bushes trimmed and keep an eye out for the perimeter of your property. If you are away for a longer period of time, enlist the help of a friend or neighbor to mow the lawn, shovel the driveway or other yard work to give the appearance that you are home.
- Invest in a security system. We say this often, but it bears repeating: homes equipped with security systems are at a significantly lower risk for burglary and intrusion. When you have the system installed, be sure to use it! Put decals on your windows and yard signs out front to deter potential burglars. Consult with a home security company to determine what system will work best for your home and your needs.
Courtesy of Home Security Store